Sales and Use Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
Effective July 1, 2011 taxpayers using EDI will no longer need a password to use DOR's website to submit Sales and Use returns.
to File and/or Pay Online?
- Form NC-592 (Sales and Use Tax Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) Registration)
- EDI Response Form
- EDI Technical Specifications:
- Form Year 2015 -
- Form Year 2013 - Revised 2
- Previous Years
- 2015 Software
Developer Test Package
- Approved Software Developers
EDI is the electronic exchange of business documents (e.g. tax returns, invoices) from one company's computer to another company's computer in a data format that is machine-readable and follows a national standard. The North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) utilizes the 813-transaction set, called the "Electronic Filing of Tax Return Data," included in version 4010 of the ASC X12 Standards as the standard format for electronically submitting the North Carolina sales and use tax return information.
ALL taxpayers are eligible to file Form E-500, Sales and Use Tax Return, and the breakdown schedule, Form E-536, if applicable, by uploading an EDI formatted return using the Department’s online filing and payment system.
- In order to file electronically by EDI, you must complete Form NC-592, Sales and Use Tax Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) Registration. A separate Form NC-592 must be completed for each sales and use account that will use this method. Upon approval for the EDI filing method, please allow three (3) business days after Form NC 592 has been submitted before filing your Sales and Use returns. The completed Form NC-592 should be faxed or mailed as noted on the form.
- You will need to use NCDOR approved commercial software or software you have developed in-house to place your North Carolina sales and use tax return into the required EDI format. Please click here to access a list of software vendors who offer NCDOR approved software that can place your North Carolina sales and use tax return into the specified EDI format.
- You will then use our online filing and payment system to upload and submit your return. Through a series of user-friendly web screens, you will be prompted to enter your NCDOR issued Sales and Use Tax Account Number and user ID. You will then reach a web screen that allows you to upload your EDI formatted sales and use tax return.
- Monthly with prepayment taxpayers that want to file their sales and use tax returns electronically but not in an EDI format can enter their return information directly into the system.
What Are the Department’s Requirements for Developing Software to Place a North Carolina Sales and Use Tax Return into an EDI File Format?
The following information is for commercial software vendors and for business taxpayers developing software in-house.
- You must complete Form NC-592, Sales and Use Tax Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) Registration. The completed Form NC-592 should be faxed or mailed as noted on the form.
- Select the appropriate form year to access the technical specification for that form which will include the most current North Carolina Department of Revenue EDI 813 Sales Tax Map. Questions about the technical specifications should be directed via email to email@example.com.
- You will be required to submit test returns to verify that your software has placed the sales and use tax return in the proper format per our technical specifications. Once you are ready to begin the testing process, you must download the test package and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that you can receive further testing instructions. You will be notified of the test results within two business days of our receipt of the test returns.
If you have claimed a credit on Form E-500, you are required to
mail documentation in support of the credit. Mail the supporting
documentation along with Form
E-RA, Required Attachments
for Sales and Use Tax Electronic Filing, to:
North Carolina Department of Revenue
PO Box 25000
Raleigh, NC 27640-0001
Note: Include your account number and the period for which you are claiming the credit on your correspondence.
Our Sales and Use Online Filing and Payments system allows you to select one of two options when filing by EDI:
- File E-500 by EDI and pay online. After you upload your EDI file, the system will prompt you to select a payment method, Credit/Debit Card (MasterCard or Visa) or Bank Draft. Advanced registration to pay by this method is not required.
- File E-500 by EDI and pay by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Advanced registration is required to pay by EFT. Please click here for additional information about EFT.
You will receive an email from the Department within two business days from submission of your return and/or payment. The email will contain the same confirmation number that is displayed on the confirmation page that you print for your records. This email will also contain a Document Locator Number. You should retain the email for your records and you should provide these numbers if you contact the Department for assistance with the return and/or payment.
For assistance with filing an E-500 by EDI, please contact the E-File and Development Unit Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm EST toll free at 1-877-308-9103. After you select option 2 from the main menu, select option 1 and then option 2. If you are in the Raleigh area, you may contact us at (919) 814-1500.
File and Pay - Individuals
File and Pay - Businesses
- eFile corporate and franchise only
- Online returns, payments
File and Pay - eNC3
Pay a Bill or Notice
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help