Motor Fuels E-File

Frequently Asked Questions


Who is eligible to file a motor fuels tax return using E-File?

Any taxpayer filing a motor fuels tax return with accompanying schedules is required to file electronically. Taxpayers filing any other motor fuel tax return and refund also may file electronically.

Motor Fuels E-File does not include filing IFTA returns; however, taxpayers can use Motor Fuels IFTA/Interstate E-File to file IFTA returns.

What are the benefits?

  • It's convenient
    • File and pay at the same time
    • Eliminate mailing a paper return
    • Accessible 24/7 for filing returns, refund, and paying tax
  • It’s easy
    • Help text on every screen to guide you through the process
    • Written procedures for every return by screen
  • It’s accurate
    • Our system calculates the tax for you
  • It’s secure
    • Your data is protected with SSL (Secure Socket Layer) and 128 bit encryption
  • It’s acknowledged
    • You receive an e-message acknowledgement in your View Messages folder that your return and payment have been received


How do I enter the return and payment information?

Taxpayers must enter the return and payment information directly into the E-File system.

Taxpayers can enter the return information directly or upload their electronic data interchange (EDI) formatted return into the E-File system. The EDI option is available to Terminal Operators, Suppliers, and Transporters only. For more information about EDI contact the EDI Coordinator at (919) 707-7529 or you may email at The payment information must be entered directly into the E-File system and cannot be included in the EDI formatted return.

Do I need to register to E-File my motor fuel tax return?

No, if you are currently filing a return with the Division an access code letter will automatically be sent to you to enable you to setup your account. All motor fuels tax returns for which you are registered may be filed using one access code letter.

Can I file a balance due return and send the payment in by mail?

No, you must submit payment of the tax at the time of filing. The E-File system will prompt you to enter your banking information or credit/debit card information for payment of the tax depending on whether you choose to pay by bank draft or by credit or debit card.

How will I know you have received my return and payment?

When you have completed entering your return and payment information, you will be provided a summary to review. You will be able to correct any information you have entered or cancel your on-line transaction. If you click “Submit”, you will receive a confirmation page that provides you with a summary of the information you have entered along with a confirmation number. You should print this page to keep with your records. You will receive an e-message from the online system that references the confirmation number and a document locator number. You should retain the e-message for your records and you should provide these numbers if you contact us for assistance with the return or payment.

What if I do not receive a confirmation number?

If you submit your return and payment information but you do not receive a page titled "Confirmation" with a confirmation number, contact the Motor Fuels Help Line before attempting to resubmit your information. The Motor Fuels Help Line toll-free number is 1-877-308-9092 and the local telephone number is (919) 707-7500.

Am I required to mail any paper documentation after submitting my return?

No, you will have accessing to your filed return online within the Fuel Tracking System.

What are the hardware and software requirements?

The following operating systems and browsers are supported for filing and paying your motor fuel tax returns electronically:

Operating Systems:
Windows 95/98/XP/NT/2000

Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher with 128-bit encryption

Is my information secure?

Security measures are in place to guard the safety of your information. No one can read your tax information while it is being sent to us. The site and your data are secured with SSL (Secure Socket Layer) and 128-bit encryption.

What if I need further assistance?

If you need assistance, please contact the Motor Fuels Help Line toll-free at 1-877-308-9092 or at (919) 707-7529 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. eastern standard time.