Frequently Asked Questions About Form 1099-G and Form 1099-INT
- Why didn’t I receive a Form 1099-G this year?
You will only receive a Form 1099-G from the North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) if:
- You claimed itemized deductions in the prior tax year and received a refund or had an overpayment of taxes for that tax year from the NCDOR, and
- The amount of your refund or overpayment of taxes was $10 or more.
If you should have received a 1099-G but did not, or you received a 1099-G but have misplaced it and would like a duplicate copy, please contact your local service center or contact NCDOR toll-free at 1- 877-252-3052 for assistance.
- Why is the amount of refund shown on my 1099-G different from the amount of refund that I received?
The amount of refund shown on your 1099-G could be different from the amount of refund you received for any of the following reasons
- You chose to pay consumer tax with a portion of your refund or overpayment,
- You made a contribution to the NC Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Fund with a portion of your refund or overpayment,
- You made a contribution to the N.C. Education Endowment Fund with a portion of your refund or overpayment,
- You chose to apply a portion of your refund or overpayment toward the following year’s estimated tax,
- A portion of your refund or overpayment was offset to a prior tax year or external agency having a claim against your refund,
- You may have received interest which is reported separately on a 1099-INT.
- I received 1099-Gs from different states. Are these taxable to North Carolina?
No, the amount of any state or local income tax refund included as income on line 10 of your federal income tax return will be included as a deduction in the Deductions from Federal Adjusted Gross Income section on the North Carolina income tax return.
- What if I don’t think the information on the 1099-G or 1099-INT is correct or I have misplaced my 1099-G or 1099-INT?
If you have any questions about your 1099-G or 1099-INT or would like to request a duplicate copy of your 1099-G or 1099-INT, please contact your local service center or contact NCDOR toll-free at 1-877-252-3052 for assistance.
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Taxes for Real Property Transactions and Services
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help