North Carolina Department of Revenue
XXVI. DEBT SET-OFF
G.S. 105A - Setoff Debt Collection Changes: Chapter 105A was rewritten in 1997 to make the following changes, which take effect January 1, 2000:
- Allow local government agencies to file claims for setoff of individual income tax refunds.
- Require all State agencies to submit debts for setoff unless the State Controller waives the requirement for that agency.
- Shift liability for the collection assistance fee retained by the Department of Revenue from the claimant agency to the debtor, except for child support arrearages.
- Make the setoff process automatic within the Department of Revenue if a claim has been filed and the claim and refund available for setoff is $50 or more.
(Effective January 1, 2000, for income tax refunds determined on or after that date; SB 39; s. 1, S.L. 97-490.)
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Taxes for Real Property Transactions and Services
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help