Sales and Use Tax Division Directives
A Directive is a form of written guidance on the tax laws issued by a Division in Tax Administration. Each Directive has a number that indicates the Division that issued it, the year it was issued, and its order in the list of Directives issued by that Division for that year. For example, the first Directive issued by the Sales and Use Tax Division for 1998 is numbered SD-98-1.
The Divisions in Tax Administration issue Directives on an as needed basis. A Directive is issued for one of the following reasons:
- To set out the Department's interpretation of a tax law.
- To explain the application of a tax law to stated facts.
- To clarify an issue on which the Department has received numerous questions.
Once issued, Directives are generally not updated to reflect changes in the law or administrative interpretation. The information contained in a Directive is incorporated into the appropriate Sales and Use Tax Technical Bulletin. Legislative changes supersede any information previously set forth in Directives. Therefore, individuals using these publications are cautioned that the information contained therein may have changed as a result of legislative action, court decisions, or Attorney General Opinions.
The Directives of the Sales and Use Tax Division follow. For convenience, a Table of Contents and an index are provided. The Table of Contents is set up numerically by Directive and indicates the topic addressed and the date the Directive was issued. The index is set up alphabetically by topic and indicates the Directive number.
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Taxes for Real Property Transactions and Services
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help