Sales Tax Holiday Set for Aug. 1-3, 2003

Date: 7/25/2003

RALEIGH -- Taxpayers who buy certain items during the weekend of Aug. 1-3, 2003 won’t have to pay the state sales tax during North Carolina’s second sales tax holiday.

The sales tax holiday covers specific items and includes the state and local sales or use taxes, including the Mecklenburg Public Transportation Tax. This year, the sales tax holiday begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday, Aug. 1, and ends at 11:59 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 3.

The holiday covers specific items of clothing, footwear and school supplies that cost $100 or less, sports and recreation equipment that cost $50 or less and computers printers, printer supplies and educational software that cost $3,500 or less per item.

Clothing accessories, jewelry, cosmetics, protective equipment, wallets, furniture, layaway transactions, items used in a trade or business, and rentals are not covered by the exemption and will be subject to any applicable tax.

The state sales tax rate is 4.5 percent while the county rate is 2.5 percent, for a combined total of 7 percent. (Mecklenburg County has a 3 percent county rate, for a combined total of 7.5 percent.) For more information about the sales tax holiday, visit the Department of Revenue website at www.dor.state.nc.us/taxes/sales/salestax_holiday.html.

###

Public Affairs Office
P.O. Box 25000, Raleigh, NC 27640-0001
An Equal Opportunity Employer