Periodic Review of Existing Rules
N.C. Gen. Stat. 150B-21.3A established a periodic review by State agencies of their existing administrative rules pursuant to a schedule determined by the Rules Review Commission (RRC). The Department is required to make an initial classification of each rule from one of the following three classifications:
- Necessary with substantive public interest -- means any rule for which the agency has received public comments within the past two years or the rule affects the property interest of the regulated public and the agency knows or suspects that any person may object to the rule.
- Necessary without substantive public interest -- means a rule that is needed and the rule has not received public comments within the past two years. This category also includes identifying information that is readily available to the public, such as an address or a telephone number.
- Unnecessary -- means a rule that the agency determines to be obsolete, redundant, or otherwise not needed.
See the link below to access the spreadsheet containing the Department's current rules under review and their corresponding classifications.
The public comment period concerning the Department's initial classifications of these rules begins on February 1, 2017 and ends at 5:00 p.m. on April 3, 2017. Public comments shall be in writing and shall be directed to:
17 NCAC Chapter 5
NC Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 871
Raleigh, NC 27602
"Public comment" is defined by G.S. 150B-21.3A(a)(5) as a written objection to all or part of a rule. Additionally, pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A(c)(2), in order for the Rules Review Commission to determine whether the public comment has merit, the public comment must address the specific substance of the rule and address any of the standards of Commission review, as set forth in G.S. 150B-21.9(a).
Note: Individual comments will not receive a personal reply. However, the Department will provide its response to each comment in the final report that is submitted to the RRC at the conclusion of the comment period. The final report is scheduled for RRC review in June 2017.
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help